5 Lightbulb Facts That Will Brighten Up Your Day
Nearly everybody needs lightbulbs. Bulbs serve vital functions in our homes, workplaces, cars, and even our phones. While many of us know a little bit about lightbulbs, such as the inventor behind them, there are other fascinating tidbits to know. Check out these five interesting lightbulb facts that will brighten up your day.
1. The Longest Lightbulb Has Run for Over 120 Years
The Centennial Bulb at Fire Station 6 in Livermore, California, more than lives up to its name. The fire station installed the hand-blown lightbulb in 1901, and it’s still running to this very day, despite hardly ever being turned off. The Centennial Bulb currently operates at a low 4 watts but still manages to draw a crowd.
2. LED Color Temperatures
Lights come in different colors, and we often associate those colors with traits like coolness or warmth, despite the heat of the bulb not being a factor. What determines an LED bulb’s temperature are kelvins that range from cooler blue colors to warmer yellows. Different color temperatures affect our moods and may elicit feelings of restfulness and peace or joyful energy.
3. The Bulb Named After a Vegetable
Another fact about these bulbs that will brighten up your day is one that may make you chuckle as well. One unique type of bulb gets its name from a summertime classic vegetable: corn bulbs, which get their name from their cylindrical shape and the unique yellow lights that encircle them. The similarity to corncobs inspired the name, and these bulbs are a common application for industrial work environments.
4. How Much Light Incandescent Bulbs Produce
Incandescent bulbs are one of the most common types of bulbs, but we know not to touch them because they typically get very hot. The fact is that incandescent bulbs only use 10 percent of their total power to create light. The remaining 90 percent works to create heat, so keep your hands off the bulb.
5. Earliest Proto Lightbulb
While many people credit the invention of the lightbulb as know it today to Thomas Edison, several other inventors produced similar ideas or technology prior to Edison. Perhaps the earliest idea of running heat through wires to create visible light came from Ebenezer Kinnersley in 1761. Kinnersley’s experiments in creating light were over one hundred years before Edison’s first commercial bulbs in 1879.
If you want to learn more about bulbs and find a trustworthy industrial lighting company for your business, Induction Lighting Fixtures has the information and products that you need. Consider contacting us today for more details.
Tips for Picking the Best LED Wall Pack for Your BusinessWall pack lights are a vital fixture on many commercial or industrial buildings. These lights offer …May 16th 2023
How Does Solar Light Work? A Deep Dive Into the ScienceThere are multiple advantages to using solar lighting. First, it’s a sustainable source of energy th …May 8th 2023
Why the Placement of Your Outdoor Solar Lights MattersExterior solar lighting is great for many commercial buildings, as they offer sustainable, affordabl …May 5th 2023